I love baking during the Christmas season and banana bread is one my absolute favorite things to make! Not only is this my favorite banana bread recipe, it’s also super healthy and uses minimal ingredients. What’s not to love about a baked treat you can feel good about eating??
3 ripe bananas
2.5 cups almond flour
0.5 cups arrowroot powder
0.5 cups coconut sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I PROMISE you can’t taste it!)
Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Don’t be alarmed when the baking soda fizzes when you add the vinegar to it! Mix with beaters until well combined. Spray a bread pan with non-stick spray before pouring in your batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until browned on the outside and done on the inside. Let cool fully before taking out of the pan.
- bananas are known for being high in potassium, but they are also rich in magnesium, vitamin B6, copper, and vitamin C.
- almond flour is a great grain-free alternative and boasts many heart-healthy, anti-cancerous, and blood-sugar stabilizing abilities. The monounsaturated fats found in almonds are great for your heart and cholesterol levels. Their low glycemic properties help to stabilize your blood sugar levels, while several studies at the University of California have shown almonds to help prevent cancer formation.
- arrowroot powder may sound strange, but it is plant-based and easily found in the baking section of most grocery stores. It is known to help with nutrient absorption during your digestive processes, stabilizing blood sugar levels, and helps with constipation. High levels of potassium and folate also make this a nutritional powerhouse.
- coconut sugar, although not a health food itself, is significantly better for you than traditional refined white sugar. It contains a fiber known as inulin that is beneficial in stabilizing blood sugar levels, unlike most other sweeteners. It is also high in phytonutrients and minerals, such as iron and zinc.
- cinnamon has a positive effect on brain function, blood sugar levels, digestion, and immunity. And it tastes amazing!
- nutmeg contains manganese, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, magnesium, and copper. It can help with managing pain levels, insomnia, and indigestion, among many other things.
- apple cider vinegar is great in stabilizing blood sugar levels and managing a healthy weight. Studies have also shown it to be beneficial to heart health, as well as containing anti-cancerous properties.